The Second Micro Lab Practical
The second lab practical will be this Thursday, December 9th, and hopefully everyone has signed up for a spot on the door. As noted in lab this week, we will be expected to have “practical” knowledge of the topics we have covered over the past 6 weeks in lab. What do I mean by “practical?” Well, I would recommend that you review any basic stains we did in the second half of the lab.
Additionally, the following topics should be understood:
- Biochemical tests for the identification of Enterobacteriaceae, including the name/basis of each test, any reagents included in the medium during incubation and added following incubation, and the interpretation of each test
- The difference between transient and resident microbiota
- Staphylococcus: main species, tests used to identify, appearance and characteristics, media
- Streptococcus: main species, tests used to identify, appearance and characteristics, media
- Control by temperature
- Control by osmotic pressure
- Control by chemotherapeutics
Also, remember to bring in your lab journals to turn in at the start of the practical, and take home your lab coat at the end.